We are on the lookout for a dynamic and proven/experienced Claims Manager to join our Claims Handling team in the Member, Cases and Claims division! Our Claims Managers proactively manage an active claims portfolio, maximising their strategic thinking whilst managing files efficiently and with the highest quality to achieve positive member and business outcomes.
The role requires strong negotiation skills, derived from establishing great rapport with all those involved in the claim, the aptitude to make sound judgements and the ability to keep our members updated and reassured throughout.
Working as part of a multi-disciplinary team, your success is dependent on how you build trusting relationships with those around you. You will work closely with colleagues such as Claims Assistants, Claims Managers and Technical Consultants, in addition to having responsibility in ensuring our third parties also exceed in their claims performance. Therefore, the ability to collaborate effectively is crucial.
Supported through a technical development framework, you will have the opportunity to develop your claims portfolio across a range of complexity, value, disciplines and jurisdictions. You will also coach, develop and support other members of the multi disciplinary team as part of your role.
Key to this role is the ability to prioritise well and work proactively across your caseload.
- Directly managing a caseload of claims with value and complexity appropriate to the level of experience
- Assessing the facts, law, apportionment issues, quantum and likely costs in order to devise and implement a case management and investigative strategy proportionate to the claim
- Ensuring accurate claims estimates are set and kept up to date
- Resolution of any apportionment issues
- Obtaining relevant documentation and factual evidence as required from the member(s) and other witnesses
- Commissioning expert reports and counsel input as required
- Drafting and serving the Letter of Response
- Drafting documentation as required to adhere with relevant protocols.
- Proactively initiating and engaging in settlement negotiations where appropriate
- The use of ADR/mediation where indicated
- Ensuring a smooth transition to in-house solicitors where required
- Where external litigation solicitors (MPS panel) are appointed, ensuring adherence to MPS panel requirements, retaining responsibility for strategy and costs management and providing instructions to resolution.
The Ideal Candidate
The role requires an individual with proven understanding of Clinical Negligence law/claims along with the ability to take a strategic approach to claims management.
The ideal candidate will have claims management or litigation experience with a background in clinical negligence, personal injury, or professional negligence litigation and excellent analytical, communication and negotiation skills. We are looking for colleagues with claimant and/or defendant experience.
You’ll be able to utilise your excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrate tact and empathy in your communications. Essential to the role is being able to manage a caseload proactively. You’ll need to be on the front foot with your files and able to manage many tasks together.
Being able to work closely with and challenge the advice of panel where appropriate is essential in order to drive the best results for our members.
We are looking for someone who has the ambition to develop, grow and expand their knowledge across multi jurisdictions.
You would need to be comfortable having a caseload of both Dental and Medical claims of varying complexity and able to balance conflicting priorities.
This is a rewarding role in which you’ll collaborate cross departmentally working within a friendly and supportive team.
We welcome applicants from all backgrounds, and we encourage you to apply even if you feel you do not match 100% of the technical requirements. We celebrate diversity, promote inclusivity and strive to create a work environment which ensures everyone can be heard.
- Hybrid working (Leeds office)
- 11% pension contribution (3% from you, 8% from us – optional additional matched 3% contributions, e.g. 6% from you, 11% from us)
- Annual bonus scheme – up to 15%
- Private Medical Insurance
- Health Care Cash Plan
- 25 days annual leave (plus flexible bank holidays) and the option to buy or sell up to 5 days
- 6x salary death in service
- Career progression opportunities
- Paid volunteering day
- A personal GP service enabling you to get a video consultation with an NHS-registered private GP
- Employee Assistance Programme
- A range of shopping discounts
About the Company
Medical Protection Society (MPS) is the world’s leading protection organisation for doctors, dentists and healthcare professionals. We protect and support the professional interests of almost 300,000 members around the world, in countries as diverse as the United Kingdom, South Africa and Hong Kong.
Our philosophy is to support safe practice in medicine and dentistry by helping to avert problems in the first place. We also actively campaign for regulatory and legal reforms that benefit members and the wider healthcare professions. Membership provides access to expert advice and support together with the right to request indemnity for complaints or claims arising from professional practice.
We continue to invest in our team to ensure that we are delivering the best possible service for members. This was recognised in 2016 when we were awarded an Investors in People Silver award.